Thursday, April 26, 2012

Language

Part 1.
I found this part of the experiment was easy. I did not tell the person I was conducting the experiment with and they were none wiser the whole time. I simply used facial expressions and non verbal sounds like sighs or winces, and things like that. It helped that this particular person it a bit long-winded as far as talking goes, but they had no idea I wasn't talking on purpose. As far as two cultures meeting and who has an advantage on conveying complex ideas, I would say the person who did not speak would have an advantage. If you depend on language with someone who doesn't know how to speak it, simple or complex ideas cannot be communicated. However, they way someone feels, which is complex, can be conveyed very easily with non-verbal gestures. People who are deaf are people have a difficult time moving through society because most of society cannot SEE that they are deaf and do not know how to speak sign language, however both groups can still read emotional expressions.

Part 2.
I was able to last the entire 15 minutes of only using speech (probably because I was driving and didn't have to look at the person directly). I could tell that my experiment partner noticed I was "being weird" and grew frustrated. This proves that the use of signs like inflecting your voice at the end of a question can sound normal after a while, and failing to do so can be "weird" if you are not used to it. How you say something can almost be as important as what you say in our society. From being somber to cheery, the way you say something can affect the way someone receives the communication. People who don't pick up body language signs usually have bad social timing which makes them seem awkward. However, I've been in very snowy conditions of -50 degrees Fahrenheit in which clothing is packed on  so tight it is hard enough to move let alone gesture something (other than shivering.)

Part 3.
I do not think it would be easier to use written language because I find that through my daily text messaging, my sarcasm doesn't translate very well, which causes people to take written language too literally.
Written language is a huge benefit overall because words and symbols can be standardized to bring large groups of people to a common ground of communication and writing. In the English realm, anyone who can read English can pick up anything I write and know what I'm saying.

3 comments:

  1. You've discovered the trick to the first part: Find a person who likes to talk and it's an easy 15 minutes!

    Isn't it interesting that your partner in the first part didn't even notice your change in communication, but your partner in the second section became "frustrated" even though you could still use language? Why is body language harder for the partner to live without than is spoken language?

    Can you think of a specific group of people who have difficulty reading body language? Would there ever be an advantage to not being able to read body language?

    Great point on the inability to communicate nuances in language with written communication. But since you could still use body language in the first part, would a combination of written and body language work?

    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share the same opinion with you in Part 3. I feel that through written text,such as texting, it is very hard to try to convey sarcasm or different types of humor. I feel that every person interprets a piece of writing differently depending on how they read it. On the other hand, if you hear the writer speak what he/she is writing, you get the meaning the writer is trying to convey. However, I do think that written language is just as important as spoken language. I see them as complements of each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Part 3, I disagree with you in how effective written language can be at communicating ideas. Certain words and phrases, even in English, can carry meanings that not all English-speakers can pick up on. Most notably, slang, does not translate well with outsiders. Phrases used in the United States may not always be easily understandable to people in the United Kingdom. Written language as a whole more easily communicates ideas, but certain things within a written language may not translate to different populations of speakers of said language.

    ReplyDelete